October Halloween Safety Tips
If you do still get a few of those tricky visitors, be sure to keep your bird safely away from open doors, scary costumes, and boisterous children (and sometimes even adults).
Sometimes I hear comments that chocolate must not be really toxic to birds because their bird ate a chocolate chip cookie, or some other chocolate treat and was fine.
I cringe when I hear these comments as yes, chocolate really IS toxic. However not all chocolate is equal. The dark cocoa found in Dark Chocolate Squares, Bittersweet, and Baker's chocolates are the most toxic and many people do not realize they contain caffeine which is also bad for your bird.
Chocolate in any form should not be fed to birds. Yes, Bittersweet, Baker's and Dark Chocolates are more toxic than Milk Chocolate, but are you willing to take the chance that your bird has no problem?
Also, there is a artificial sugar substitute used sometimes in sugar-free sweets that is deadly to your dog. The name is xylitol and it may be found in candies, gums, and other sugar-free items. I'm of the opinion that if something is deadly to my dog, then it's not something I want my birds to have either.